Key Ingredient to a Happy Marriage



NEWSER– The key to a happy and lasting marriage might be as simple as regularly expressing gratitude. So report researchers from the University of Georgia in a new study published in the journal Personal Relationships. After interviewing 468 married individuals on relationship satisfaction, covering everything from communication habits to finances, they found that the “most consistent significant predictor” of happy marriages was whether one’s spouse expressed gratitude. “Feeling appreciated and believing that your spouse values you directly influences how you feel about your marriage, how committed you … Read More

Is a marriage performed by a Universal Life Church minister valid in NC?

Tough question!  Let’s take a fictional case:

“Sue and Ned, having resolved the issue of Sue’s first marriage, were married in Chapel Hill by Ned’s brother Larry. In
anticipation of the wedding, Larry completed an application on the Internet and, a few days later, printed out a certificate stating that he was an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church. Now a friend has told Sue that her marriage might not be valid. Is Larry an “ordained minister” or “a minister authorized by a church” to perform marriages? Is the Universal Life Church a church for purposes of the marriage Read More

Can we get married without a wedding license?

The easiest answer to this question is to quote part of NC General Statute § 51-6:

“Solemnization without license unlawful.

No minister, officer, or any other person authorized to solemnize a marriage under the laws of this State shall perform a ceremony of marriage between a man and woman, or shall declare them to be husband and wife, until there is delivered to that person a license for the marriage of the said persons, signed by the register of deeds of the county in which the marriage license was issued or by a lawful deputy or assistant. There must be Read More

What if I can’t physically go to the Register of Deeds Office?

What if I can’t physically show up at the Register of Deeds office to get a marriage license?

Don’t panic! If you can’t show up in person, you can fill out an “Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance for Marriage License Application” and have it notarized (get the form here: ). One of you must be present physically at the Register of Deeds Office and may submit the affidavit on the behalf of the other applicant. In addition to the affidavit, one of you must bring a copy of both of your ID’s (usually a picture ID and proof … Read More