What if I can’t physically go to the Register of Deeds Office?

What if I can’t physically show up at the Register of Deeds office to get a marriage license?

Don’t panic! If you can’t show up in person, you can fill out an “Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance for Marriage License Application” and have it notarized (get the form here: http://www.orangecountync.gov/document_center/RegisterofDeeds/Affidavit_in_Lieu_of_Personal_Appearance.pdf ). One of you must be present physically at the Register of Deeds Office and may submit the affidavit on the behalf of the other applicant. In addition to the affidavit, one of you must bring a copy of both of your ID’s (usually a picture ID and proof of social security).

No Comments

Post a Comment